September 1st, 2014

Mobilize your Month, September 2014: App Privacy and Security

 

Top Mobile Trend – Mobile App Privacy and Security Debate

According to a recent Accenture report, companies are making huge financial bets on their ability to tap vast amounts of personal data and our willingness to let them. Their reasons are obvious; they profit by offering customers what they want, when they want it and by selling the data to brokers and marketing companies.

Google’s newly acquired Nest thermostat tracks peoples movements around their house and “learns” how warm they like to keep their rooms. Facebook offers an app that turns on the microphone of a person’s device and listens to the sounds it picks up, apparently to better target music and TV choices. Amazon’s new smartphone has cameras not only to track pupil and head movements but also can use facial recognition data to estimate the gender, age and ethnicity of the person look at the screen. The recent re-architecture of Disney World is centered on RFID bracelets that monitor the wearer’s actions and transactions in the park.

The promise to consumers is almost always the same; the more data you give us, the better and less expensive the service we can give you is although users are showing a growing awareness of being in control of their personal information. According to a recent GFK study, 60% of users said that concerns over their data has risen in the last 12 months and big companies like Orange and Snapchat are being sanctioned by data protection authorities for not complying with data protection laws which is damaging their reputation and public image.

The question remains: how to approach privacy? Do we have to make a choice between privacy and innovation or can they be combined?

As one of the world’s leading mobile app solution providers, DMI has strong experience in privacy in mobile services by advising companies such as Vodafone, Anheuser Busch inBev and Brand Vegas to name just a few. We are now unveiling our latest service: Privacy & Trust. For more information on privacy and security issues related to the your mobile apps or website, please send us an email at acaffier@dminc.com.

 

Top Mobile News

 

Top Mobile Fact

“Combined with mobile web, mobile usage as a whole accounts for 60% of time spent, while desktop-based digital media consumption makes up the remaining 40%” – comScore, August 2014

 

More Info On Our Blog

Visit our CIPP/E certified legal expert’s “All you need to know about privacy” blog post to learn more about security data breaches, consequences and our recommendations or contact her directly at acaffier@dminc.com for a free security and privacy risk assessment.

 

Mobile Readiness Assessment Survey

How mature is your organization in the mobile space?

Complete our business-to-business (Internal enterprise solutions) or business-to-consumer (External consumer solutions) online questionnaire to receive an assessment and recommendations on how mature your organization is in the mobile space.

Tags: mobile apps Mobile Security privacy security trends

Connect with us

Job Openings

Want to be part of our growing team?

View More
Work with us

Learn how DMI can help you grow, or launch your business.

Get In Touch
Offices

See all of our locations around the world

View Locations